To help you understand the key issues facing our industry, please use the following glossary of terms:
- Day-Ahead Market
- Trading market in which power transactions are consummated for delivery the following day.
- An abbreviation for "direct current." An electric current flowing through a conductor in one direction only.
- Delta System
- A method of connecting three single transformers for three-phase application.
- The maximum amount of electric current needed from a circuit to a generator.
- Direct Access
- Direct Access enables customers to purchase electricity directly from power producers or through power marketers/brokers. In California, a direct access customer must contract with an Energy Services Provider (ESP) who has a contractual arrangement with the host utility. Direct access customers are also referred to as “unbundled service” customers. They also have the ability to obtain services such as metering or billing from their ESP rather than their host utility. In September 2001, the CPUC suspended direct access for new customers. (Also see “Bundled Service.”)
- To remove an electrical device from a circuit to make it inoperative.
- Transporting electricity from your neighborhood substation to your home or business.
- Distribution System
- The whole circuit (system or distribution lines) and all of its branches which supply electricity to consumers.
- Connection point between Edison service wires and customer wiring.