Start Applying Now
Explore exciting internship opportunities at Midwest Generation.
Search keyword Intern.
With six electric power generating plants in Illinois and one in Pennsylvania, Midwest Generation is one of the largest independent power producers in the country. We make electricity by burning coal, a fossil fuel, and we are dedicated to doing this safely and reliably.
Midwest Generation's internship program will give you the opportunity to gain practical, challenging and meaningful work experience. You will work in a supportive learning environment, where you are challenged to apply your academic experience, develop new professional skills, and acquire practical experience in your chosen field.
Concern for the environment is a core value for Edison International, and our business---generating and distributing power to millions of customers---is an environmentally challenging endeavor. Thus, while we're proud of the service and value we provide, we also seek to minimize our environmental footprint wherever and whenever possible. Environmental issues are at the top of our business concerns.
Why an internship at Midwest Gen?
- Meaningful work that will allow you to demonstrate your abilities
- Competitive pay
- Opportunities to network with key leadership and other professionals
- Make valuable contacts, learn about a wide range of job roles, and gain confidence in your abilities
- Internship can be used as a gateway to explore career opportunities at Midwest Generation and other Edison International affiliated energy companies.
"People always say 'you can only learn so much from a textbook.' I don't know if there is any other way to describe this program than with that statement. As a student you look at a textbook box diagram referring to a steam turbine system, and you can answer all the questions on a test correctly according to this simplified model on a piece of paper. But when you set down the book and step into the plant you quickly learn things aren't so simple, and that's what's so exciting."
-Ryan Esch, Engineering Intern- Powerton Station
Types of Internships
Midwest Generation has internships available in Engineering (Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical)
Other departments that may offer internships include:
- Industrial Hygiene
- Crawford Station- Chicago, IL
- Fisk Station- Chicago, IL
- Joliet Station- Joliet, IL
- Powerton Station- Pekin, IL
- Will County Station- Romeoville, IL
- Waukegan Station- Waukegan, IL
Our engineering internship program is designed to give students exposure to a wide variety of craft disciplines, including operations, maintenance and engineering. If you are interested in the challenges of the energy industry and in getting out of the classroom to do hands-on work, then Midwest Generation could be the place for you. Read on for more details about our program…
What projects would I work on?
Our engineering interns have worked on:
- Coal product analysis and air-flow distribution analysis
- Assisting with boiler and turbine testing and associated calculations
- Completing electrical print modifications
- Mapping flow-accelerated corrosion potential sites in the feedwater system
- Analyzing unit start-up and shut-down chemistry
Our environmental interns assisted with the air compliance program and continuous emissions monitoring data management.
Interns in our fuels department identified potential bottlenecks and/or choke points that could impede coal delivery.
Procurement interns identified low dollar, high number procurement transactions and recommended options to streamline or eliminate them.